Fielder JA, Lieutenant Colonel
Following three years-service in the ranks, Jack Augustine Fielder (1920-2006) was commissioned into the Dorset Regiment in January 1943. He transferred into the Intelligence Corps as a Captain in 1949 and, in the rank of Major, he became one of the “First 100” officers to form the permanent Regular cadre of officers in the Intelligence Corps in 1957.
He served in Field Security Sections, held various Staff Officer appointments in the Far East and Germany, was Training Officer for Scottish Command, was Commanding Officer of the UK Intelligence Unit, commanded the School of Military Intelligence and, as Lieutenant Colonel JA Fielder MBE TD, undertook his final appointment prior to retirement as the Intelligence Corps’ Lieutenant Colonel in 1968.
Jack was instrumental in the establishment of the first Intelligence Corps Museum at Ashford, achieving this by dint of ‘creative allocation’ of a building opposite the Guardroom at Templar Barracks. This building was included in the camp plan and designated for training purposes, however, it just happened to house the Museum collection! Jack was a keen Rally driver and was also an active and dedicated member of the Intelligence Corps Association.
Along with his uniforms and other military ephemera, his medals were donated to the Museum by his daughter in March 2017. They are, left to right; the MBE, 1939-45 Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal with Mention in Despatched (MiD) Oakleaf, General Service Medal with Malaya Clasp and the Territorial Efficiency Decoration (TD).