The museum's Mercedes Benz Geländewagen (G-Wagen) was used as a tour vehicle by BRIXMIS during the Cold War.
BRIXMIS was an intelligence organisation which operated from 1946 to 1990. Originally a liaison unit, its role soon changed to gathering intelligence in the former Soviet Occupation Zone of East Germany on the threat posed to the West and NATO by the 20 Soviet and 6 East German Army Divisions and their Air Forces deployed there.
When BRIXMIS was disbanded at the end of the Mission in 1991, this vehicle was used by Berlin-based units until it was taken out of service in 1993. As all other ex-BRIXMIS G-Wagens were crushed, our vehicle is the sole surviving, genuine, ex BRIXMIS tour G-Wagen.
The RAF Museum at Cosford holds the sole surviving ex-BRIXMIS Opel Senator tour vehicle.